![]() |
| source |
It all began in early February, when Republicans attempted to change the definition of rape in legislation which provides funds to people who were raped, to receive abortions, saying that only "forcible rape" should be covered.
Rape: (noun) any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
Call me crazy, but I don't see where in that definition there is any room for "non-forcible rape." However, the while the definition of "forcible rape" remains fuzzy, it appears preclude statutory rape and incest.
However, realizing that attempting to redefine rape not only is nonsensical, but offensive, the GOP backed down on this controversial effort.
So, that means everything is fixed, right? Unfortunately not.
Because while the GOP backed down on qualifying rape, a new target has been chosen for anti-choicers -- Planned Parenthood.
![]() |
| source |
However, the realm of Planned Parenthood goes so far beyond abortion. Many clinics (such as the one nearest to my home, as I just found out while researching) don't even offer abortions at their clinic.
I can understand why people are against abortion clinics. I'm not, but I can comprehend it. If someone truly believes that abortion is murder--that's their prerogative and their belief. I do take issue when someone tries to force that belief upon me, but I can understand why people are passionate about it. I would be, too, I suppose.
But Planned Parenthood goes so far beyond abortion. Planned Parenthood helps so many teenaged, young, and fully grown women every single day. Planned Parenthood helps people learn how to provide for their baby, if they so choose. They provide birth control to young women who may be too afraid to ask their parents, and protect them from unwanted pregnancies. They provide STD screening to people.
In my opinion, this goes far beyond abortion. Abortion is only a small facet of Women's Health, and a small proportion of Planned Parenthood. I believe that people need to learn to look at the bigger picture--look at all of the public service Planned Parenthood provides to women in this nation every single day. Because without Planned Parenthood, many women won't have anywhere else to go.


No comments:
Post a Comment